- 1 box Duncan Hines® Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
*Frosting Ingredients (Below)
COOKIE OPTION 1) RED VELVET SANDWICH COOKIE
- Melt butter; set aside to cool. Place cake mix, egg, cooled butter and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well blended and dough is formed.
- Form dough into a smooth 12-inch log on wax paper or parchment making sure it is even in thickness end to end. Wrap in wax paper; seal in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease baking sheets. Unwrap dough log and set on wax paper. Using a sharp knife, cut into 48 slices about 1/4- inch thick. Place on cool baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on half the cookies. Top each frosted cookie with another cookie. Gently press together.
COOKIE OPTION 2) RED VELVET CRACKLE COOKIE:
- Repeat step 1 above
- Mix all ingredients together by hand until cookie dough is formed. Roll into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or wax paper. Flatten down slightly (depending on thickness you desire).
- Bake at 375° until the tops crackle (8-10 minutes)
- Confectioners’ sugar: Roll into dough once formed, then dust lightly when cookie comes out of oven
COOKIE OPTION 3) RED & WHITE VELVET COOKIE:
- Cream cheese topping: Spread cream cheese frosting on top of cookie once cool
- OR dip half the cookie in cream cheese or white chocolate while warm and place on wax paper to cool (pictured)
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese — softened
- 1/4 cup stick margarine or butter — softened
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Beat cream cheese, margarine, milk and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
Duncan Hines Frosting: