Minding a budget doesn’t have to mean losing flavor. These 20 heart-healthy low-cost meals pack vital nutrients while nourishing you in good taste. Plus, at less than $3 per serving, they’re easy on the wallet as well as the waistline.
Recipe #1) Fajita-Ranch Chicken Wraps
Enjoy a light supper with this simple meal; loaded with protein and veggies, you’ll feel satisfied even with smaller portions. And you’ll definitely save over dinner at a Mexican hot spot.
Budget dinner price: $2.05 per serving
- 12 jounces skinless, boneless chicken breast strips for stir-frying
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small red, yellow, or green sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons bottled reduced-calorie ranch salad dressing
- 2 10-inch whole wheat, tomato, jalapeño, or plain flour tortillas, warmed*
- 1/2 cup Easy Fresh Salsa*
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Divide chicken and pepper mixture between warmed tortillas. Top with Easy Fresh Salsa and cheese. Roll up; cut in half.
*To warm tortillas: Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350°F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
*Easy Fresh Salsa: In a medium bowl combine 2 seeded and chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/4 cup chopped yellow or green sweet pepper, 2 to 3 teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, a dash of black pepper, and, if desired, a few drops bottled hot pepper sauce. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days. Stir before serving. Makes 1 2/3 cups.
- Servings Per Recipe 4 servings
- Total Fat (g)7
- Saturated Fat (g)2,
- Cholesterol (mg)59,
- Sodium (mg)316,
- Carbohydrate (g)15,
- Fiber (g)1,
- Protein (g)25,
- Starch (d.e.)1,
- Very Lean Meat (d.e.)3,
- Fat (d.e.)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet