As part of our DIY Holiday + Party Kit series, we’re giving you our favorite recipe for corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
(These portions make 5 servings)
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorn
- 5 tablespoons of spicy mustard
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges I also use a mixture of green and red cabbage for variety)
- Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef, bay leaves and peppercorn. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
- Remove meat from water and place in an oven safe dish, take a cup or 2 of meat broth and place in the pan with the meat (keep the rest of the broth in the pot on low heat). Spread mustard over the top of the meat and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350, until the top is slightly browned. (Tip: I also spoon liquid over the meat once or twice while it’s in the oven)
- In the same pot or dutch oven as the meat broth, add potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes.
- After the cabbage is added to the water, remove the beed from the oven to let it rest for 15 minutes. Slice meat across the grain.
If desired, add butter to the vegetables after you’ve drained them from the water.
This article is part of The D.I.Y. Holiday + Party Kit Series: