In honor of Valentine’s Day, Chef Roger Waysok of South Water Kitchen will be preparing a special Red Velvet Twinkie for guests on their Five-Course Valentine’s Day Dinner Pre-Fixe Menu. For those not in Chicago, South Water Kitchen has kindly shared the recipe below, which is easy enough for at-home chefs to replicate!
Part of our DIY Holiday + Party Kit series – we’re giving you everything you need for Valentine’s Day.
Included in the eBook:
- Printable ‘Valentine’s Day’ Banner (just print, cut and hang!)
- D.I.Y Valentine Card Instructions
- Red Velvet Twinkie Recipe
- Red Velvet Cookie Recipe
- Valentine Themed Cocktails
- 1 recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dark-color corn syrup
- 2 eggs
- 19 ounce jar pumpkin butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe Sweetened Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
Directions1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate.
2.Roll the remaining dough until 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch shapes with small cookie or hors d’oeuvre cutters. Brush edge of pastry shell with water; arrange cutouts around edge of shell. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
3.Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over low heat until melted. Cook about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Add oats and walnuts. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until toasted; cool.
4.In a large microwave-safe bowl microwave the remaining butter on 100 percent power (high) for 30 to 45 seconds or until melted. Stir in corn syrup; whisk in eggs, pumpkin butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in oat mixture. Pour filling into pastry shell.
5.Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent over-browning. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Watch our how-to video for a quick demo on how to get the layered effect in this red, white and blue layered drink. Instructions and quantities are listed below. Cheers!
SMALL BATCH / INDIVIDUAL DRINK RECIPE:
- Hawaiian Punch OR
- Cranberry Juice
- *Mix alcohol here (optional, I use Vodka)
- Light blue Gatorade, watered down with any of these options….
- Diet Sprite, Diet 7-Up, Soda Water, Plain Water
White = Ice
- Red drink & Vodka mix = 1/3
- Blue drink (75%) & water or clear diet drink to dilute it (25%)= 1/3
- Ice = 1/3
For this drink, I use thirds to make it easy. The amounts will vary depending on how many you’re making and the size of the glasses.
The key to this drink is the sugar levels. The more sugary drink will stay on the bottom and drink with less sugar will float to the top. Mix your alcohol in the red layer so the extra sugar will help keep it at the bottom. With the ice included, you’ll get the red, white and blue layered effect!
- In 1 cocktail shaker mix your desired red drink with alcohol if you’re using it. For 4 drinks, I use 6 shots of vodka and fill the rest of the cocktail shaker with cranberry juice or Hawaiian Punch
- Pour red mixture in to empty glasses
- Add ice so your cups are now 1/3 red, 1/3 ice. Use plenty of ice to act as a separator between the red and blue. Eventually the ice will float to the top.
- In the 2nd cocktail shaker, mix 75% blue drink with 25% clear liquid, choices noted above
- Pour blue drink SLOWLY directly over the ice to avoid mixing
*Garnish with American flag toothpicks, red or blue berries & enjoy!
LARGE BATCH / DRINK DISPENSER RECIPE:
- Same as above
- Red = 2 Liter or large bottle of cranberry or punch
- Blue = 4 large light blue Gatorades, watered down 1/4 a liter of any of these options: Diet Sprite, Diet 7-Up, Soda Water, Plain Water
- White = ice
- Same as above for small batch recipe
- Replace cocktail shakers with pitchers and pre-mix separately before pouring in to the dispenser
- Follow the same order – 1) red, 2) Ice 3) blue mix
As part of our DIY Holiday + Party Kit series, we’re giving you our favorite recipe for corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
(These portions make 5 servings)
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorn
- 5 tablespoons of spicy mustard
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges I also use a mixture of green and red cabbage for variety) Continue reading
Well folks, I don’t think this recipe can get an easier! As part of our DIY Holiday + Party Kit series, we’re giving you some of our favorite (easy and cheap) ideas for St. Patrick’s Day. This is a super quick way to add a little St. Paddy to your party.
- 1/2 bottle of green food coloring
- 1 750 ml bottle of RumChata
- Pour half a bottle of green good coloring in to the RumChata bottle
- Close the lid tight and give it a shake (use more or less for the color green you desire)
- Chill, serve and enjoy!
This article is part of The D.I.Y. Holiday + Party Kit Series:
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Hosting a party? We’ve got your green punch recipes covered! As part of our DIY Holiday + Party Kit series, we’re giving you our favorite St. Paddy’s Day punch recipes.
Choose your liquor – champagne, vodka or whiskey – and check out the recipes below!
Green Champagne Punch:
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages lemon-lime Kool-Aid (powdered mix)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (46 ounce) can or jug of pineapple juice
- 1 quart of cold water
- 1 (2 liter) bottles ginger ale
- 2 Bottles of champagne
- Chill liquid ingredients
- In a large punch bowl, mix the drink mix, sugar, pineapple juice and water (this makes A LOT of punch, depending on your punch bowl you can also split the batch and refill as needed)
- Add ginger ale and champagne